The new SGR Phase 2A Train Service from Nairobi to Naivasha has been launched (16th October 2019). This passenger train will be stopping at four of the 12 stations. The four stations include Ongata Rongai, Ngong, Maai Mahiu and Suswa.
Trains will be departing Syokimau terminus in Nairobi and arrive at Suswa Terminus in Naivasha. This service comes months after the Nairobi-Mombasa SGR line which is already in operation.
The 120km Nairobi-Naivasha SGR line will pass through four counties (Nairobi, Kajiado, Kiambu, Narok, and Nakuru).
Nairobi to Naivasha SGR Trains Timings and Schedule.
Commuter Train Service Schedule Ngong to Nairobi Terminus – Monday to Friday
Passenger Service Train Schedule Nairobi to Suswa – Friday.
Passenger Service Train Schedule Nairobi to Suswa – Sunday.
Ticket Prices for SGR Phase 2A from Nairobi Terminus to Suswa Terminus
- Ngong to Nairobi: Economy Class, Kshs 100 and First Class Kshs 200
- Ongata Rongai to Nairobi: Economy Class, Kshs 100 and First Class Kshs 200
- Ngong to Ongata Rongai: Economy Class, Kshs 50 and First Class Kshs 100
- Rongai to Suswa: Economy Class, Kshs 100 and First Class Kshs 500
- Nairobi to Suswa: Economy Class, Kshs 200 and First Class Kshs 650
How to Book the SGR Train from Nairobi to Naivasha.
Fares and timings of the trains will be announced soon. Booking for Madaraka express train is done via USSD (*639#) or through Kenya Railways Website.
Fun Facts about SGR Phase 2A
- Track length of the SGR Line: 120.491km
- Number of Passenger Stations: 4 (Ongata Rongai, Ngong, Maai Mahiu and Suswa)
- Total Number of Tunnels: 3 (total of 7.14 kilometers)
- Longest tunnel: EmbulbulTunnel in Ngong (4.5 km)
- Number of Bridges: 29 (8 Medium, 15 Major and 6 Supermajor bridges)
- Tallest Bridge: 46 meters (at Mulua Orkondi in Duka Moja, Narok County)
- Cost of Nairobi to Naivasha Standard Guage Railway Line Project (SGR Phase 2A): KSh 150 billion
“The Embulbul tunnel is the first of the three sections of the 7.14km tunnel. The other two sections located in Nachu, Kikuyu constituency, cover 1km and 1.64km respectively.”
Featured image: Mai Mahiu Train station along the SGR line from Nairobi to Naivasha. Photo Courtesy of Kenya Railways.
Check out the SGR Madaraka Express train from Nairobi to Mombasa.